New ETF prospects are popping up all over the place. Real Estate is definitely a tricky beast, especially right now, but still, interest rates are very low and many real estate companies are able to take advantage of this. There is an expanding list of around 20 ETFs oriented to primarily REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) with more on the way.
With that being said, here is a recent list of ten really good real estate ETFs that are available. As a point of reference, this list is not a top ten list, it is simply a list of ten good ones that you may want to look in to.
ETFs (all ETFs) are based on indexes tied to well-known index providers including Dow Jones, Russell, Barclays, MSCI, S&P and others. Also included are some so-called “enhanced” indexes that attempt to achieve better performance through more active management of the index.
Real Estate ETFs as of July 2011
Numbers are based on Vanguard REIT ETF (VNQ)
1. Simon Property Group (SPG): 9.12%
2. Public Storage (PSA): 4.66%
3. Equity Residential (EQR): 4.66%
4. HCP (HCP): 4.42%
5. Vornado Realty Trust Shs of Benef Int (VNO): 4.18%
6. Boston Properties (BXP): 3.86%
7. Host Hotels & Resorts (HST): 3.41%
8. AvalonBay Communities (AVB): 2.97%
9. ProLogis Trust (PLD): 2.64%
10. Health Care REIT (HCN): 2.62%